Wirral String Days
On three or four Saturdays in the year the string orchestra is joined by string players from all over
the north west (and beyond!), many from other amateur orchestras, to form an orchestra of between
forty and sixty. The day is informal and runs from 10 am to 3.30 pm with breaks for coffee and lunch. Some
recent highlights include a coaching day with players from Welsh National Opera in November 2012, and we have
accompanied Suzie Meszaros from the Chilingirian String quartet on a number of occasions, most recently in January 2018
in a Telemann concerto and Paul Hindemith's Trauermusik.
Several other string days have been scheduled but may have to be postponed due to the Covid-19
outbreak - please contact the individual associated with each event for further information:
- Saturday 2nd May
Viola Day (NB this is not in a Bank Holiday weekend, as the Early May Bank Holiday for 2020 is on
Friday 8th May!). Alison is looking for provisional numbers - if you think you can come, please
email her at email@example.com and she will send you further details in April.
- Saturday 13th June
Joint Play Day with Chester Sinfonia, to be held at Dee Banks School, Chester
(see flyer). Please note, if you wish to attend,
please email Helen Thomas at firstname.lastname@example.org as she is collating the list of players for
this joint playday.
More information about all of these will appear nearer the time.
Coffee/tea is at 10 am and play starts at 10.30. Hot drinks are provided, but bring your own packed lunch.
The afternoon session starts at about 1.30 pm.
Charge: £10 for the whole day, £5 for half a day. Students pay half price.
When planning the day it helps to have some idea of numbers intending to come, so please let Neill
Jackson (0151 645 5547) or Alison Barker know. They can give travel directions if you need them.
Music lists for recent string days
- Rutter - Suite for Strings
- Leroy Anderson - Christmas Carol Suite
- Svendsen - Two Swedish Melodies
- J Strauss - Pizzicato Polka
- S Rachmaninov - Vocalise
- Arensky - Variations on a Theme of Tchaikovsky
- Mozart - Divertimento
- Warlock - Capriol Suite
- Haydn - Movements from Seven Last Words
- Elgar - Serenade for Strings
- Haydn - Symphony No 101 'Clock'
- R Strauss - Horn Concerto No 1 (soloist: Chris Pople)
- Donizetti - Concertino for Cor Anglais (soloist: Helen Thomas)
- E German - Kipling Songs
* Bethan Griffiths (Harp)
- Vaughan Williams - Dives and Lazarus *
- Mahler - Adagietto from Symphony No 5 *
- Purcell - Chaconne and Dido's Lament
- Kalinnikov - Serenade
- Telemann - Concerto in G for two violas
- Hindemith - Trauermusik
- Corelli - Christmas Concerto
- Holst - A Moorside Suite
- Suk - Serenade
- A Glazunov - Theme and Variations
- J Suk - Meditation on St Wenceslas
- W A Mozart - Eine Kleine Nachtmusik
- J Haydn - Seven Last Words
- L Janàček - Suite for Strings
- G Finzi - Eclogue for Piano and Strings
- Barber - Adagio
- Piazzolla - Tangos
- Mendelssohn - String Symphony No 9